Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Larry Sultan
Los Angeles, Early Evening
1986
When i first looked at the 3 pictures we had to choose from for this assignment, my eye was immediately drawn to this one. The first thing I noticed was the intense contrast of the colors in this picture. The tree popped out first to me because of the lightness of the bark against the dark rich color green of the grass. The lines of the branches of the trees drew my eye into the picture, it led me to focus on the pink flower bush that pops against the white of the house and the ladder in front of it. The man in the window also very visibly stand out as he is standing in a window that is yellow, a different color than everything else in the picture and also a more dramatic harsh color than the softer colors featured in the yard, which makes him a focal point.   

My first thought when I saw this photo was that it was showing the hard work of the man in the photo in the window. He is looking out into the yard which has been recently groomed as seen by the ladder and pieces of branches on the ground. I think that this photo is a good representation of showing calmness after a hard stressful day. The man is now relaxing and looking over the hard work he put in during the day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment